Monday, March 5, 2012

Old Fashion Popcorn

Old Fashion Popcorn





So I kind of feel as though the art of popcorn has been lost to the microwave so I just wanted to share how I LOVE my popcorn. 

You will need an old pot (or REALLY old pot like mine!) that has a lid. My pot is strictly for making popcorn and is even nice and "flavored" on the bottom :) You will need plain corn kernels that you can find in the snack isle. Yellow is fine but white is my favorite. Be wary of the cheap brands as they can have tons of hulls after your done popping that are not as fun. Finally some oil. I use olive oil because it gives it a little different flavor and it is very good for you. 

To start put a generous amount of oil in the bottom. Enough to cover the bottom of the pan but not cover over the raw popcorn. Turn your burner on high and wait for the oil to get a little hot. Then add your corn. Now be mindful your first time as you won't know how much your pan can fit. I use about a 1/4 of a cup of corn for my pan. Put the cover on the pan and let it cook. Once you hear the popping slow to 1-2 pops per second you can pour your popcorn into the bowl. However, I love just a few extra done kernels so I will let it cook until it stops popping all together. Your choice!

In your empty pot you can add a slab of butter and let the hot pot melt it for your topping. Then add salt to taste. For a very special treat sometimes I sprinkle with garlic powder!! Sounds crazy but it will blow your mind! Other things to try are Tabasco in the oil for a spicy treat. 

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment