Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Incrediberry French Toast Bake

Incrediberry French Toast Bake





In an effort to be more frugal and less wasteful I wanted a way to use up my old fruit and old bread. I found this recipe and made it work incredibly well! I will call out what the recipe said and then add my notes of what I actually used. Also my pictures show the recipe cut in half. Let your imagination run on what kind of fruit you would like to use. I think a strawberry banana is next to try!!

12 slices day-old bread, crusts removed and cut into 1 inch cubes (I left crusts on and used a mix of more then a day old french bread and some regular white sliced bread heels)
2 (8oz) packages of cream cheese (I used the whipped and it was nice and fluffy)
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries 
12 eggs
2 cups of milk
1/3 cup maple syrup

Sauce
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 cup water
1 cup blueberries (I had some old blackberries so I used them instead)
1 Tbsp. butter

Place 1/2 of bread in greased 9x13 baking dish. Cut (or scoop) cream cheese into cubes and place over bread. Top with berries. Add other 1/2 of bread. In a mixing bowl beat eggs with milk and syrup. Pour over bread mixture. Cover and chill for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 1/2 hour before baking. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake additional 30 minutes or until golden and center is set. When you open your oven you will see this amazing sight!!
I love that I left the crusts on that french bread because they gave the dish such a yummy crunch on top!!

Sauce
You can decide the best time to make the sauce. While you bake or the night before. Combine sugar and cornstarch until well blended. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes. Add berries and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until berries burst. Stir in butter. Serve over toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment