Monday, March 26, 2012

Keep ______ in the pantry!!

So I have found over time that there are lots of my recipes that call for token items. Items that I always need but sometimes don't have... Frustrating!! So I started loading my pantry with some of these items. I also have a few things I like to keep on hand that are perishable. (Just fair warning you may not want to buy in bulk but definitely have on hand.) I will try to keep updating as I think about them :)

Non-perishable must haves

Tomato paste
Diced tomatoes
Minced Clams
Cream of chicken soup
Onion soup
Italian dressing packets
Rice
Noodles of every shape and size
Taco seasoning
Condensed milk
Bottled pasta sauces
Pinto beans 
Lawry's Season Salt

Perishable but freezable
Meatballs
Ham Steak
Whole Chickens
Pork roast
Sticks of butter
Frozen veggies
Loafs of sandwich bread
Bacon
Breakfast sausage
Kielbasa or bologna sausage

Perishable but keep handy
Sour cream
Cream cheese
Shredded cheese (which ever large bag is on sale)
Eggs


Looking over this list I can come up with dozens of dinner combinations. Plus I even see a ton of fillers I can add to my meals to make them cheaper or add some extra nutrition. For instance in my spaghetti sauce I always like to add a can of diced tomatoes for an extra serving of veggies. Or when making Mexican rice throw a can of pinto beans or frozen corn for a meal that satisfies. I should also note that I do have a deep freezer. So when I say have a whole chicken or 2 make sure you have room :)


No comments:

Post a Comment